The construction of the New Sections of the motorway includes:
- 2 twin tunnels at the Tempi Valley, 2 and 6 Km. long (the largest road tunnel in the Balkans)
- 1 twin tunnel in Platamonas 2.7 Km long
- 14 Km of open road construction
- 17 Km of secondary roads and service roads
- 22 bridges and structures
- 5 new interchanges
- Tunnel service buildings, etc.
In addition, 5 new Motorist Service Stations per direction will be constructed and put in operation along the Motorway.
The Project's objective is to turn the last, really dangerous critical part of the Athens-Thessaloniki road connection into a safe motorway. It is a public work of immense National importance with social and financial benefits for the entire country in the medium and long term.
For the drivers ... :
- Increased road safety at the existing section of the road
- Road Assistance Emergency Line (1075)
- Operation & maintenance services
- Uninterrupted and constant traffic flow even in adverse weather conditions
- Cleanliness and respect for the surrounding area
After completion :
- Maximum road safety and economy
- 230 Km of modern motorway
- 50% reduced travel time on the Evangelismos-Skotina section
For the region ... :
- Development, employment and competitiveness
- Provision of thousands of direct and indirect jobs
- Environmental protection of the Tempi Valley, as the prohibition of heavy vehicles traffic will reduce pollution levels